Sunday, April 01, 2007

About a Boy



This is not a blog about a boy, (although at the moment I could write a great deal about one of them) instead I am going to write about, "About a Boy." It is an amazing movie and... I love it, I love it because I can relate to it. First there is Fiona who is one of the main characters, Marcus', mother. There is one scene where it is morning and Fiona is trying to get breakfast for Marcus, but she keeps on spilling the milk and the cereal and she is just crying, and trying to appear happy and strong for her son. I understand that, I have days when everything goes wrong and I feel like crying, but I know that I should pretend to be happy for the benefit of others. But, those are just occasional days, other times I relate more to marcus. The poor kid is kind of a misfit, he, had friends at school, but they stopped being his friends to avoid bullies. That is not the part that I relate to, but I thought that you might like some background information. Marcus is like me during the Christmas scene, in a way that I think makes him relate to almost everyone, first he gets a tambourine from his mom and a pair of socks from his insane father. And, second he received a CD from Will. He acts happy and excited for all of his gifts, even though tambourines and socks aren't exactly ideal presents, and he didn't even know what a CD was. We have all experienced that type of thing, you recieve an undesirable gift and are obligated to be happy to have it. And sometimes you receive a present you don't understand that turns out to be amazing. The last person I am going to relate myself to is Will, and it is hard for me to do that because, he is kind of a selfish guy, and I don't want to have to admit to any selfishness myself. He lies about having a two year old son in order to find an attractive single mother to date, and have break up with him. When I was in 5th grade I switched back to my old school in the middle of the year, and none of my old friends were in my class. When a girl came up to me and talked to me about her favorite TV show, I told her that it was one of mine too, even though I had never seen it. In order to keep up that pretense, I started to watch the show, and it turned out that I did like it. I do not believe that it is a good idea to ever start a relationship based on a lie, but I was a ten year old kid with no friends in my class, and I did not know what else to do. It ended up working out a lot better for me than it did for Will, but still I can relate. "About a Boy," is great, and I am sure that if you were to watch it you would find a connection too. It contains all the likable things, awkward preteen boys (who actually are now quite good looking), attractive men named Hugh Grant, and ducks who get hit in the head by large rock-like loaves of bread.

1 comment:

Aubree said...

My goodness? Well I don't think it's me; it has to be the people that I'm around. (*hint*hint*) It always depends on the environment you spend your time around.


Well this blog was good. I got a little confused.... it might help if I could actually remember all of the movie but.... it was good. you obviously have multiple personalities.... that's cool...