Sunday, December 03, 2006

People

Each person is different and though I have always accepted the differences of others it amazes me that what I find to be beautiful can be seen by someone else as insignificant and meaningless. It seems that what I see as beauty should be beautiful for everyone but, alas, it is not so. I am a great lover of art; I can spend a very long time staring at a "beautiful" picture or sculpture or anything really, trying to find out why I feel such a connection to it. That is the way I am and I often find myself expecting everyone else to be the same way. If all people were just like me I would blend in and just be another face in the crowd of corinnes but instead I stand out, I am an individual, and I in some small way am important. The things that make me myself are the things that set me apart and those same things cannot be found in anyone else. There are some things that I do not see as beautiful but somewhere else there is someone who sees the beauty, that is why we are here: To find the beauty in the things we love and to show that beauty to others. The beauty others see may at first seem alien and bizzar but it is beauty and when you find it it makes the difference. This beauty is ofcourse subjective but that is the point, to make everything seem beautiful in some way so we don't have to worry about the superficial.
The world does seem to be a very superficial place, every one is so worried about what is going on with Jennifer Aniston or Tom Cruise or where they should go to get their new nose that they forget about their friends and their lives. It seems that high school should be the main location for this problem but it stretches beyond that. Appearance is everything, if you are not pretty enough you are probaly not smart enough either. It is amazing that our world is at this level. This is not to say that everyone is like that but there are many people who feel that the most important thing is the image they create with their slimming clothes and anti-aging make up. The famous do not wrinkle, they do not grow old and they would never ever feel bad about themselves. Celebrities are real, they are not as they seem: perfect skin always smiling and unreachable. Instead they are just llike you and me, they have days where they hurt so bad all they want to do is cry and they have those moments where they are so blissfully happy that they want to live in that one moment for the rest of their lives. We of course are not allowed to see this more personal part of the people we watch on our television and in movies in our own homes. They are just like us.
We are sometimes blind to the realness of the famous. They do not show us how they feel so we believe that they do not. They cannot seem so perfect and still be like us. Every day we experience things that no one before has ever quite experienced, we feel alone and cold and, it seems that we must be. Everyone does such a good job of covering their pain that no one feels comfortable sharing, we think to ourselves, "They will not understand," or "There is no way that they could acually want to know." But they do want to know those people who you can really trust actually do care. As people we are faced with trial and feelings that are strong and controlling. We are not alone, there is always someone who is willing to try to understand. Their feelings may not be the same as yours, and their experiences certainly won't be but they can help. Empathy is the great strength of humans. Others can care about things that seem to only affect you.

2 comments:

Aubree said...

i'm pretty sure that this one is way longer than the one that i said was longest! this is so crazy long. it must be because you are so passionate about this....

chelynnday said...

Corinne-
Your blogs are amazing. I agree with you, but with one addition; I find that even when others don't share your feelings or experiences, their insights from their own feelings and experiences often help us to understand how we feel and what we can do about it. Even if they don't do this they still help us feel loved.