Sunday, October 08, 2006

Change:the money kind

A week or so ago I went to Wendy's with a friend and noticed something that is true among most people: when you have to pay a full dollar amount and a few cents we have an unexplainable desire to pay the change in coins to avoid receiving more coins. Now as I noticed this I had to ask myself, why? If you use all of your change paying for Items you buy, you are bound to eventually run out of spare change; and when you reach this point you should have achieved your goal of changelessness, but, instead you are stuck. If you spend more money that is not in exact dollar amounts, you will have change again.
So why do we as human beings need to get rid of all of our change when we KNOW that it is inevitable that our change supply will be replenished? After much thinking I have come to the conclusion that we only care about what is happening now, we do not have the foresight necessary to see that our attempts are futile. The fact that our purses are too heavy right now overtakes our common sense and we do whatever we can to get rid of the extra weight. This vicious cycle is obviously responsible for any muscle deficiencies we may be guilty of having. If we would just keep that extra change in case of an emergency, our bags would be heavier and save us from many boring trips to the gym. By working out, outside of the gym, you not only gain muscle mass but you also avoid embarrassment. For example, you wont be found "running" two miles an hour on the treadmill next to the wonder woman on the elipitical trainer with twenty pound bags of flour in each arm who defies all impossibilities by actually getting somewhere. As humans we want to avoid immediate discomfort whenever possible, ignoring the fact that it probably will lead to a more public embarrassment later.

4 comments:

Corinne said...

Hey Rin,
You are right. I should be carrying MORE change instead of letting my OCD impulses rule my life and ruin my shape (round is a shape, right?). Americans are so lazy, it's a good thing I'm a French Canadian.

Je t'aime,
Mom

Aubree said...

is this about me and you that one time? well it was funny!

*~BECKY~BOO~* said...

Nice, and so so true. You have answered my life long question on spare change.

Methebookworm said...

French Canadian! Ha ha ha! So basically Cornine, you are a genious! I love love love your blogs. Do you read your comments? If you don't you should, they are major self esteem boosters.