Sunday, September 24, 2006

Matilda

Why have I always liked the movie Matilda so much?
Well in order to answer that question I watched Matilda this weekend. The first reason I like it is because it shows a family with a relationship that is not ideal in any sense and demonstrates the ability of anyone to escape it. My family has always been great and I like to see people who were not born into a loving family find one for them selves. Another important element in this movie is that family is not necessarily the people who you are related to by blood, family is the people who love you and who care about you whether you are related or not. Another thing about this movie that I liked was that they displayed a relationship between a young girl and a woman who is not her mother; that is something I always wanted when I was little, someone older than me that I could look up to outside of my family. The main reason for me loving the movie was that I felt a direct connection between Matilda and myself. I was not by any means spelling my name in spilt baby food when I was a year old but I have always had the desire to learn. I myself didn't learn how to read until I was in the middle of first grade and before that I was always embarrassed to go to tutoring but as soon as I started reading I couldn't stop and I got beyond any reading I ever thought I was capable of. When I was little I always wanted to be Matilda for Halloween and my mom always said no because no one would be able to tell who I was and on the outside that was true but internally I was much like her and seeing part of me inside of her made me love the movie.

1 comment:

Methebookworm said...

OH MY GOSH! I love this movie too! I have always wished I could make stuff fly like she does. How awesome is she!